Here is how you can Powerwash the Chromebook from inside Chrome OS⁵:
- Open the Chrome browser
- Click the menu button, represented by three vertically aligned dots and located in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window.
- When the drop-down menu appears, select Settings.
- Chrome’s Settings interface can also be accessed via the Chromebook Taskbar menu, located in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- Chrome’s Settings interface should now be displayed. Scroll to the bottom and click Advanced.
- Chrome’s Advanced Settings appear. Scroll down again until you locate the Reset settings section and select the Powerwash option.
- A dialog labeled Restart your device should be displayed, overlaying the Settings interface. Click on Restart.
- Your Chromebook will now be restarted and the Powerwash process will complete. When prompted, sign in with your Google Account credentials and follow the on-screen prompts to set up your newly-restored Chromebook.
Powerwashing can be performed at the Login Screen³ by following these steps:
- While on the Chrome OS login screen and prior to authenticating, press the following keyboard shortcut: Shift+Ctrl+Alt+R
- A window will appear labeled Reset this Chrome device. Click Restart to begin.
- Your Chromebook will be restarted. After returning to the login screen, a new version of this window should be displayed. Click Powerwash.
- We recommend placing a check mark next to the Update firmware for added security option before continuing with the Powerwash process, as it provides better security protection for your device.
- The Confirm Powerwash dialog will now appear. Click Continue.