What Is The IT Asset Lifecycle?
Information technology assets go through stages that guide the procedures needed to protect company-owned information and sensitive customer data. Effective lifecycle management promotes the timely replacement of equipment and reduces the total cost of ownership.
The stages of the IT asset lifecycle are:
- Planning, where the requirements for new assets are identified based on accurate evaluation of existing assets and their usage. With proper planning, the process itself can be streamlined to reduce the costs of asset management.
- Acqusition, where the best source of the required IT assets is identified or designed. Leveraging internal and external resources, the right computers, servers, laptops, or tablets are sourced and purchased, making the most effective use of the available IT budget.
- Operation and maintenance, when the asset is in active use by the business or data center. Scheduled maintenance extends the useful life of IT assets, and reallocating resources within the organization with the use of disk wipe software maintains data security during these transitions.
- Disposal, which is often planned as assets become obsolete or are deemed at high risk of failure. Those servers or computers which fail unexpectedly will also need to go through the disposal process. Assets may be physically destroyed or have all data erased using a certified disk wipe software.
Data Destruction In The Disposal Stage
Most IT assets contain data worth protecting and, in many industries, complete data destruction is required. Without the use of certified NVMe, SSD and hard drive disk wipe software, physical destruction of the equipment may be needed.
Many organizations see the benefits of completely sanitizing data using WipeDrive and donating their used IT equipment. These steps offer advantages over physical destruction, including:
- Donating equipment to non-profit organizations for tax benefits
- Reducing the cost and security risk of the physical hard drive destruction process.
- Lowering the impact on the environment of IT asset disposal, keeping equipment out of landfills, and reducing the costs of environmental fees for business
- Keeping proprietary business data and sensitive customer information safe from restoration or reconstruction with a certified hard drive disk wipe as part of the disposal phase
What Is WipeDrive?
WipeDrive uses techniques approved by government and international agencies to completely erase data by overwriting it using certified data sanitization technology. Unlike simply deleting business or personal data through the Recycle Bin, using WipeDrive will ensure that data cannot be recovered.
Data centers and small businesses alike use WipeDrive to meet or exceed all regulatory requirements for their industries, and then go on to recover some of the cost of their retired IT assets through donation or resale. If you need or your business needs to improve your asset maintenance and disposal, WipeDrive has a solution for you.
With Enterprise, Small Business, and even WipeDrive Mobile products available, we have the data security solutions you need. So rarely do peace of mind, environmental awareness, and improving the bottom line go together. Contact us today at 801.224.8900 to make asset disposal a net positive part of your process.